Neue Kartendesigns

Ich denke zum Thema ApplePay gibt es sicherlich gespaltene Meinungen und natürlich haben sowohl die Zahlung über ApplePay, als auch die Zahlung mit der physischen Karte Vor- und Nachteile, die individuell abgewogen werden müssen :wink:
Um nochmal das Thema Offline-PIN-Bug aufzugreifen und vielleicht etwas verständlicher zu machen (ohne behaupten zu wollen, dass ich ein quotierfähiger Techie wäre): es ist wohl so, dass vor allem im Ausland (wir hatten vermehrt Fälle in Frankreich und GB) sogenannte Offline-Terminals verwendet werden. Dabei ist es dann vorgekommen, dass bei einer Änderung des PINs, dieser noch nicht direkt auf der Karte gespeichert wurde, sondern zunächst nur im System und durch eine Transaktion an einem Online-Terminal erst mit der Karte synchronisiert wurde. Beim Bezahlen an einem Offline-Terminal war der neue PIN demnach noch nicht auf der Karte gespeichert und konnte also nicht erkannt werden. Makes sense? @aidanic correct me if I’m wrong. I think you’re a bit of an expert here :slight_smile:

@Milena Hast du hierzu

vielleicht Infos bezüglich der neuen Kartendesigns?
Ich würde echt gern das Design in Apple Pay selbst wählen können. Die Konkurrenz macht’s vor.

2 „Gefällt mir“

Ich denke erstmal wird es nicht möglich sein, die verschiedenen Designs auch bei ApplePay abbilden zu können. Auch die Holzkarte kann aktuell ja noch nicht bei ApplePay abgebildet werden. Du bist aber nicht der einzige, der sich so etwas wünscht, von daher wird schon dran gefeilt! Wie lange das allerdings noch dauert und welche Arbeitsschritte damit konkret verbunden sind, weiß ich leider nicht. Sorry!

Aktueller Stand ist meines Wisens, dass die Solarisbank das technisch nicht umgesetzt hat. Perspektivisch wünschenswert und wäre es natürlich schon, technisch machbar ist es auch, die Grafiken werden auf einem Server der Bank bereitgestellt, von da zieht sich Apple die Grafiken.

Ich bin mir nicht ganz sicher, wie Apple die Bedingungen hierfür formuliert. Meines Wissens wünscht sich Apple, dass die virtuelle Karte grafisch die physische Karte repräsentiert. Bunq hält das ja zumindest zu 98% ein mit der Option, einen dünnen Farbstreifen zu wählen. Aktuell kenne ich aber keinen Anbieter, der eine darüber hinaus gehende freie Motivwahl implementiert hat.

Aus Usability-Gründen fände ich, unterschiedliche Designs fürs Gemeinschaftskonto wären ein großer Vorteil. Wobei natürlich die Wahl unterschiedlicher Designs bei der Bestellung nochmal simpler ist als freie Designwahl für die virtuellen Karten zu jedem Zeitpunkt.

1 „Gefällt mir“

Danke für die Insights :slight_smile:

Using the Captain Picard meme… there are two PINs… although they should be the same value.

One is on the physical card (not the Apple/Google Wallet) and the other on the bank host system.

When you activate a new card with the App, you set the PIN, and this gets pushed from the App to the bank host system. Your new card arrives in the post with a random PIN stored on it. This needs to be synchronised with the one on the bank host. At the same time, the card cannot perform an NFC transaction straight out of the postal envelope - you need to perform a contact chip transaction first. During this (first) contact chip transaction, the bank host sends an encrypted version of your PIN down to the card, and this is stored securely on the card.

Online PIN - when the PIN is checked at the bank host. Offline PIN - when the PIN is checked by the card. The PIN value is the same, the difference being who checks it.

Most POS devices in Germany support both types of PIN, and Tomorrow have chosen to have online PIN as the preferred method (of cardholder verification). If device does not support online PIN, then there is a priority list of alternative methods of cardholder verification, and offline PIN is further down the list.

In the UK (Ireland, France), almost none of the POS devices support online PIN. For „reasons“… They all support offline PIN.

You can inadvertently mess up the activation workflow a bit. For example, activating the card in the App normally, and then trying a UK POS device for the first transaction which does not have online PIN. This first transaction might need a signature (and confuse the cashier), or work with no verification. The next transaction will already have the offline PIN synchronised with the online PIN, and it’ll all be fine.

That is the happy path - although for cards issued last year for a period, there were two separate problems, one which affected the synchronisation process (resolved in ~July), the other with the storage of the new/updated offline PIN on the card (resolved ~October). Subsequently there was a third issue with NFC, not related to PIN for a time in November. I believe this is also resolved.

The Holz/Wooden card was not affected by any of these issues.

2 „Gefällt mir“

Hi there, I guess the question that remained was this:

Considering the card is configured as „contact issuer via online means“ – when is offline PIN really relevant?

I understand that SCA and payment authorization are different steps of the payment process. But a naive assumption would be that a terminal that relies on offline PIN also authorizes the payment offline – but this assumption is wrong for countries like UK and France.

From the EBA:

The EBA has already stated that "in an EMV chip offline transaction, either the PIN is verified offline (i.e. just between the chip and the terminal) or the transaction itself is authorised offline – usually within certain value limits. If the PIN is given, the offline transaction could be SCA compliant.” (Question 273 of Feedback Table annexed to the final draft RTS of February 23, 2017.)

I’m claiming Offline PIN is compliant with the PSD2 SCA requirements.

There are two items here that are independent and can sometimes be mixed up. Online/offline PIN as in my post above, and online/offline devices.

The „PIN“ bit of the transaction is to make sure the person holding the card and transacting with the merchant is the authorised cardholder. Cardholder verification in the vernacular.

Most POS devices you use will be online devices - they are connected to a network which allows them to connect via intermediaries to the issuer bank. This online connection facilitates the verification of the card, the integrity of the transaction, the available funds for the cardholder and the status of the cardholder and their account. This connection can also be used to check the PIN used by the cardholder if supported.

There are devices that are offline - not connected to a network to communicate with the issuer bank - such as the terminals used in on airlines for inflight purchases. These devices can perform a delayed transaction verification (as above), although you are already on the beach at that point.

For these offline connected devices, online PIN is a non-runner. An alternative method of verifying the cardholder is offline PIN. It’s local between the card and the device.

There are a range of online connected devices that do not support online PIN. There are regional, historical, technical and commercial reasons for this. The details are a whole thread’s worth, and not useful here. This range includes devices in the UK, Ireland and France.

Independent of SCA, issuers can configure their cards to allow a small number of transactions to complete at these offline connected terminals. This allows the cardholder to transact easily, and there is limited risk to the issuer. Typically this will be with offline PIN.

If you transact with the contact chip at an attended POS device, you are performing an SCA compliant transaction - there almost always some form of PIN.

If you transact with the NFC using the card at an attended POS device, for low-value transactions (<€50) there may be no cardholder verification. Under PSD2/SCA, there is a requirement for the Issuer bank to track these transactions, and at some point (the magic €150/5 transactions), the issuer may require the transaction to be restarted or finished with SCA.

For high-value NFC transactions, there is likely to be online PIN (at least here in Germany), and SCA is already dealt with.

And yes, there are going to be odd-ball use cases.

In the UK, where POS devices generally do not support online PIN, there are no high-value NFC transactions possible. The high/low value limit (£25/£50) and the maximum NFC transaction are set to the same value. For £75, you can only perform a contact chip transaction, and that will process with offline PIN.

If you exceed the SCA limits (150/5) in the UK, the transaction will be processed in such a way as you are prompted to use the chip reader to complete the transaction. The same circumstances in Germany will prompt you to enter an online PIN - the process will be so quick that you might not notice the communication session with the bank - and believe the online PIN is connected to the the „first“ transmission to the bank, when it’s actually connected to a second transmission.

This must be miles off topic, and I’m not even sure I’m answering the question any more… Also, I’m trying to keep this stuff simple - it’s not so simple, and my huge answers are not helping sometimes.

2 „Gefällt mir“

Confirming this was what I was looking for. Thanks!

1 „Gefällt mir“

Ja, der Sparkassenverlag ist aber auch zurecht Stolz darauf, dass der das hinbekommen hat. Du musst halt die technische Infrastruktur dafür bauen, und du brauchst jemanden, der das dann zahlt.

Ich wette, die Solarisbank würde das relativ zügig bauen, wenn deren Kunden denen das Budget dafür aufdrängen.

1 „Gefällt mir“

Solange das aber rein Issuer-gesteuert ist, beschränkt sich der Aufwand auf die Solarisbank-IT. Bei der Sparkasse kann man ja z.B. auch nicht zwischen dem Standard-Motiv und dem regionalen Motiv wählen.

Keine Frage, separate Motive sind komfortabler, die Unterscheidung anhand der Kartenendziffer jetzt aber auch keine unlösbare Herausforderung bei zwei identisch aussehenden Karten.

Die Frage wäre: Soll man den Marktstart eines Gemeinschaftskontos verzögern, weil die IT der Solarisbank noch keine unterschiedlichen Kartenmotive für Mobile Payment bereitstellt? Ich würde sagen: nein.

5 „Gefällt mir“

Da könnte man doch einen Teil des Crowdfundings hernehmen. Ein Feature was sich Kunden wünschen, finanziert von Kunden. Das wäre doch mal was - ist das nicht sogar etwas Teil und Sinn eines Crowdfunding?

Da wären sogar noch eine ganze Reihe an anderen Features wo man mit dem Crowdfunding mal langsam was reißen könnte…

4 „Gefällt mir“

ich glaube mich zu erinnern, dass man bei Curve das Motiv der Karte in Apple Pay frei wählen konnte. :thinking:

Bin kein Curve-Nutzer. Ich weiß, dass man bei Curve die Darstellung der fremden Karten wählen kann, die man für die Nutzung mit Curve hinterlegt. Dass man die Darstellung der Curve-Karte selbst in Apple Pay wählen kann, ist mir noch nicht zu Ohren gekommen. Aber da kann vielleicht jemand Auskunft geben, der Curve nutzt?

Wäre mir auch neu und ich bin eigentlich Curve Nutzer :sweat_smile: