[HEUTE (Trello)] V-Pay

So on which site does this need to be fixed? Card issuer or terminal issuer? I assume it’s the card issuer in this case (Tomorrow), right?

The terminal just shows what comes off the card… in this case two times Visa Debit.

Tomorrow would need to ask Solaris to ask their processor to change the data in the embossing file which is sent to the personalisation bureau. The changes would also need to be checked by Visa.

It’s a poor choice, as customers would be surprised with unexpected options and be unsure how to act.

This card is not the only one to have poorly chosen an „application name“ which are shown or printed for customers.

• VR bank cards also show 2 x „V PAY“ when both VPAY (A0000000032020, priority 1) and Visa Electron (A0000000032010, priority 2) are supported by the terminal
  • The Lufthansa co-branded Mastercard issued by DKB shows „DKB Credit“ as the card type on the receipt, which comes from the card,

In the end, it will only occur where both Visa Credit/Debit and V PAY are supported on the terminal. So far, for me, it’s just been Bauhaus. Still there will be other merchants.

The real issue for me is that no-one at the merchant will know what to do next, and the overall customer experience can be unpleasant, triggered by the poor personalisation choice.

1 „Gefällt mir“

Thanks for clarifying. I interpreted this

like POS terminal vendors are responsible for the labels.

Diese neue Visa-Vpay-Kombi wird ein Experiment. Holland-Reisende werden davon profitieren, aber wie deutlich verbessert Vpay die Akzeptanz in Deutschland tatsächlich? In meiner Gegend hier gibt es keinen einzigen Händler, der mir da einfällt. Girocard- und ELV-only-Händler gibt es. Hier taugt Vpay aber nichts. Zum Glück ist die aufgezwungene Anwendungsauswahl dank Mobile-Payment kaum entscheidend.

Ist jemand schon einem Vpay/Maestro-Only-Händler in freier Wildbahn begegnet?

1 „Gefällt mir“

Die Postfilialen nehmen nur Maestro oder Girocard an (keine Ahnung ob die auch V Pay nehmen würden).

Würde ich jetzt mal annehmen, die Postbank-Debitkarte ist Girocard + Vpay. Da hätte jemand ziemlich gepennt, wenn Maestro ginge, Vpay aber nicht.

Habe vorgestern die Tomorrow Holz VPAY Karte in der Post getestet, jedoch erfolglos…

My bad @Frnk sorry about the poor explanation.

The raw text comes from the card (Visa Debit), and then the UI/UX to choose which of the payment apps, what buttons you press, what else is on the screen and how the customer (it’s a customer choice!) works through it - that is all on the device vendor. A pure touch screen experience will not be so intuitive as a screen with function keys down the side.

No worries! As usual, thank you for your time sharing your insights with us.

1 „Gefällt mir“

A Verifone H5000 at an independent DIY store nearby…

I touched the top „Visa Debit“ and the transaction moved to the next step

Also today, at another merchant, I picked the lower (second) „Visa Debit“, which is connected to the VPAY AID, and the transaction was declined. Choosing the first Visa Debit immediately afterwards did work.

I would recommend that when offered the two „Visa Debit“ choice, you pick the top/first one only. This transaction will process as regular Visa Debit and not VPAY - and while there should be no difference in processing, clearly there is something.

It looks like tomorrow has some problems with vpay!

Could you maybe forward the details to the support team or @Vinz.

The problem is not with Tomorrow (or Solaris) in this case, rather with the configuration of the system at the merchant (Rossmann) or the configuration at PAYONE, as they think that the Tomorrow card is not a valid VPAY card. One of the intermediate systems must be checking the prefix of the Tomorrow card number with a list of known VPAY card ranges, and the Tomorrow card is not listed.

This kind of issue happens on an occasional basis in the industry as new BINs are added, removed or changed. It is easy to resolve.

3 „Gefällt mir“

I ordered my Holzkarte two weeks ago and today I received one of the plastic cards with the apple motif. Never mind, but before activating it I just want to be sure that the offline PIN issue has been resolved for the current plastic cards too. I guess so, as of @aidanic’s comment here – am I right?

Finally, does the V-Pay option come with the wooden card only?

Yes, although there may be an issue with contactless transactions.

Yes, as it’s a different supplier.

Wonderful.

I think I need a matrix to decide on the optimal card:

1. The green card
  • issue with offline PIN, especially in the UK
  1. The motif card
  • issue with contactless transactions
  1. The wooden card
  • comes with Visa Debit and V-Pay, may cause issues
  • issue with Sparkasse ATMs
  • people with vision disorder making „dig-in“ chip transactions: bring your reading glasses as the terminal may ask you for a non-trivial selection of options like Visa Debit and Visa Debit :wink:

Well, I should probably stick with #2. If a contactless payment fails I can dig in the card for a second attempt (hopefully).

It would be fun if the app would lead you through the decision making when you order a new card. Then, a 4th Christmas tree at the end of the process…

I understand the frustration - delivering this kind of product into the hands of the consumer is challenging - expectations are high - and the technology stack complex - with the added anxiety of handling people’s hard earned money.

I’ve had 6 debit cards from Tomorrow this year - the wooden one is performing best with the exception of some patchy VPAY (which I’m not too worried about). Unfortunately you can only have one card attached to the account.

The motif card issued after late November should have both the contactless and offline PIN issues resolved. The contactless issue means contactless does not work 100% of the time, and this appears to have only affected a small group of cards.

Note, with a new card that you have just received, you need to have a chip (inserted) transaction before the contactless becomes enabled. A security feature to stop someone using the card while it’s in transit to you.

If we’re ever allowed meet in groups again, maybe we can have a community event in HH, and share our experiences over a refreshing beverage.

Thank you! I’ll keep my fingers crossed and will try :smiley:.

Oh, and don’t take my words too seriously. I’ve been working with technical stuff for decades and I’m sure I inflicted some frustration as well.

I’m looking forward to a virus free meetup sometime 2021 :+1:.

Das Terminal bei LIDL zeigt korrekt Visa Debit und V Pay an und man kann via V Pay bezahlen. Genau so soll es sein.

4 „Gefällt mir“

Gerade bei unserer Post mit VPAY bezahlt. Alles einwandfrei gelaufen.

Dialog:
Ich möchte bitte mit Karte bezahlen.
Was ist das für ne Karte?
V-Pay
Perfekt - genau das was ich hören wollte

–> Eiwandfrei per NFC bezahlt - VISA kontaktlos, VISA Debit und V-PAY standen auf der Rechnung als „Zahlungsmethode“ da. Da sollten sie sich vielleicht noch etwas einig werden, aber ansonsten alles gut :slight_smile:

6 „Gefällt mir“